In the Leninsky district of the Moscow region there is mansion Island. It’s the old «royal villa», known since the days of Ivan Kalita..
This place is considered as one of the most visited by Russian tsars. The floodplain of the Moscow River has abundant wild beasts, and gave good scope for the king’s amusements.
The history of Mansion Island comes across with Count Alexei Orlov, brother of Gregory Orlov, favorite of empress Ekaterina II. Here he began his famous stud farm, just after gaining fame in Chesma battle with the Turks. Aivazovsky devoted to this event this picture.
After that battle Count Orlov get name Chesmensky.
The estate was inherited by his daughter Anna. Aging 20 she become the richest Russian bride. But in 1837 the estate was sold to the Ministry of Property. Anna ended her life in monastery of Ugresh.
Census of sold estate estate was impressive and includes many buildings, homes, sheds, kitchens, servants’ houses, gardens etc
Today around the Church of the Transfiguration one can see an ordinary suburban village, similar to the US, but hided with enormous fences.
Transfiguration Church is the main attraction of the island. 60 meters high giant is standing on a hill, visible from far away.
The Church is in good condition, it is renovated.
They say that the name of Mansion Island derives from the spring floods of Moscow River. Located on a hill, the estate used to be encompassed by spring flood.
Visitors are being escorted through the territory by a very affectionate cat. Priests say it is working for food. To say the truth it is working for love.
Mansion Island on the map